Ball State Men’s Tennis places players in singles, doubles finals at MAC Indoor Championship

<p>Junior Tom Carney returns a ball in a doubles match against the University of Toledo. Ball State won 5 to 2 on March 24 at Northwest YMCA in Muncie. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN</strong></p>

Junior Tom Carney returns a ball in a doubles match against the University of Toledo. Ball State won 5 to 2 on March 24 at Northwest YMCA in Muncie. Eric Pritchett, DN

At its last tournament of the fall season, Ball State Men’s Tennis traveled to Kalamazoo, Michigan for the MAC Indoor Championship. The pair of senior Tom Carney and sophomore Bryce Bonin qualified for the doubles championship and three players qualified for the singles final. 

Carney and Bonin played for a doubles championship in Flight three against a pair from Toledo. In their first doubles match on Friday, Carney and Bonin defeated a pair from Northern Illinois , 8-3. In the second round, the Cardinals beat a pair from Toledo, 8-3. While the duo went far the tournament, they could not claim the championship. This is the highest finish for Ball State in doubles play. 

In singles play, senior Nemanja Guzina won both of his singles matches on Saturday and played for a championship in the singles Flight two.

“I felt accomplished and I wanted to win a championship flight for Ball State,” Guzina said. “I wanted to let everyone know that I was in good form and I could compete against players in the MAC.”

In the end, Guzina couldn’t win against Northern Illinois’ Eric Marbach and lost in two sets (6-2, 6-4).

“We obviously wanted results and we played to win,” Richards said. “Our expectations were to go in and try to win some championships this weekend.”

Contact Patrick Murphy with any comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu or on Twitter @PMURPH505