Letter from the Editor: Evolving for you, our readers

The Ball State Daily News is launching its own website

The Ball State Daily News publishes an average of 70 stories per week. From community profiles to sports updates to breaking news, our editors and reporters work hard for you, to produce the very best coverage of Ball State and the Muncie community. 

That’s been our mission since the publication started in 1922. But we can do and bring even more to you, our loyal readers.

After months of endless email chains, brainstorming and revising, I’m excited to announce that we finally have a better product for you.

Beginning Monday, Dec. 3, The Ball State Daily News will launch its own website, www.ballstatedailynews.com.

As a digital-first publication, we are focused on meeting you where our numbers show you are — online and social media. While The Daily News produces a weekly print product, and will continue to do so, we are more focused on delivering stories that work well and engage readers online.

Our audience is responsive to personal, digital storytelling and it shows through the numbers. 

We’ve noticed an increased interaction with stories like “Unclear,” “Living Form” and “Faculty with Felonies” – each featuring powerful text, paired with compelling visual multimedia, including video, photos and graphics. 

Through the new website, we have the opportunity to bring and showcase even more of this engaging work. 

Ballstatedailynews.com will heavily feature multimedia content and in-depth stories by presenting readers with a more accessible and responsive design alongside special tabs and dedicated sections for such content.

Additionally, the new website will allow you to contribute to the conversation by sharing stories you want to see through a “Send a Tip” tab.

While this is a major digital transition for the team, the roots within Unified Media will stay the same. 

Our current website, ballstatedaily.com, which houses The Daily News, Ball Bearings, Byte and NewsLink Indiana content, will still exist and be active. Daily News content will be published on ballstatedaily.com as well as our website, giving stories double exposure and further helping The Daily News establish a clear and consistent brand for readers to identify with. 

This new website is only the beginning for The Daily News.

We want to continue to improve and evolve, and we need you in order to do so. We will listen, reflect and focus on what we need to improve to better serve our readers. We welcome feedback and ideas as we continue to perfect The Daily News. 

If you have questions, comments or concerns about our new website, please let us know. Our newsroom can be reached at 765-285-8255, or through email at editor@bsudailynews.com.

We are very excited for this and we want you to be too. 

The Daily News staff would like to invite all of you, our readers, alumni and friends, to celebrate with us Monday as the new website officially goes live. Join us at our launch party from 6-7:30 p.m. in the Unified Media Lab, AJ 278. Free refreshments and a photo booth will be available as we all admire the new website.

Thank you for all the support.

Allie Kirkman

Editor-in-chief, The Ball State Daily News