SGA proposes resolution opposing Title IX changes

<p>Senators discuss proposed a Title IX changes at Wednesday’s SGA meeting. SGA called for Ball State to oppose the proposed changes made by the Department of Education. <strong>Liz Rieth, DN</strong></p>

Senators discuss proposed a Title IX changes at Wednesday’s SGA meeting. SGA called for Ball State to oppose the proposed changes made by the Department of Education. Liz Rieth, DN

A Student Government Association (SGA) resolution called for Ball State to “publicly stand” against the Department of Education's proposed changes to Title IX at Wednesday’s senate meeting.

Title IX works to protect students against gender-specific discrimination and sexual misconduct. 

The Title IX proposal would change the amount of evidence needed to convict the accused, and limit the amount of university involvement in the judicial process, according to The New York Times

SGA “stands in opposition” to the proposed changes, according to the resolution. 

Because of this, SGA urges Ball State to abide by current Title IX policies and oppose the potential changes.

Senator Isaac Spillman co-authored the resolution due to personal experience with sexual assault cases as a residential assistant.

“I took concern with a lot of things that are mentioned in legislation, such as the ability for the accuser to cross-examine the accused,” Spillman said. 

While the proposed changes have yet to be approved, Spillman said he is concerned with them. 

The resolution will be read a total of three times before SGA votes to approve it. If approved, the resolution will go to University Governance for approval. 

Additionally, SGA plans to send a letter to Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, who proposed the changes. 

“We do not feel it is fair or right that the victims be forced to undergo a strenuous cross examination process, making them re-live horrible, traumatic events,” the proposed letter said. “This is an issue that is very near and dear to our hearts.”

LGBTQ Liason

In addtion to Title IX concerns, SGA senators passed a resolution calling for Ball State to establish a liaison of LGBTQ affairs.

“This is obviously a good resolution,” said senator Aiden Medellin. “It will offer a lot more opportunities for those in the LBGTQ community.”

RELATED: SGA calls for Ball State LGBTQ liaison

The resolution called for a paid position to serve as a primary source for LGBTQ students, said Khanya Msibi, author of the resolution. 

The liaison would help facilitate Safe Zone Trainings, mentorship programs for LGBTQ students and assist LGBTQ students in finding academic opportunities.

The resolution will now go to University Governance to be voted on.

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter @liz_rieth. Contact Charles Melton with comments at cwmelton@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Charles61367249.