‘Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald’ is utterly riddikulus

With the first entry in the series, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,  the story built up a significant world from the Harry Potter universe.  Not only did it introduce a new protagonist, the film also expanded on  the wonderous world of the international wizarding communities.  Therefore, this sequel has a lot to uphold compared to the high standard  its predecessor set.

Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald quickly dashes any  hopes of improving against the first film. While the movie has a  multitude of flaws, there is one major issue that is a consistent  plague: the lack of a cohesive story.

The crimes of Credence?

Image from IMDb

Throughout the advertisements, Grindelwald is shown off as the major  focus of the film. The producers even put his name in the the title.  However, Grindelwald’s placement in the film makes him feel like a side  character. Instead, Crimes of Grindelwald focuses on Credence,  who is an obscurial from the previous movie. The character himself is  dismally flat throughout the entire series. In the first film, it made  sense that he was wimpish because of his abusive stepmother. This  personality continues into the second film, despite the absence of his  stepmother.

Throughout the entire movie, Credence only says around a dozen words.  This would be fine if he was a side character. Newt even thought he was  dead in the beginning of the film. Instead, the producers place the  entire film around him without changing his personality. This is made  obvious through the bare minimum dialogue and constant creepy looks that  he gives to the other characters.

The reason for the story’s focus on Credence is because of his strong  magical powers and his naive ability to join anyone who can tell him  about his past. Credence’s pure existence and thrival within the magical  community is incredibly strange. Since he is an obscurial, he shouldn’t  even be alive. Furthermore, Credence also manages to actually navigate  the wizarding world in search of his relatives.

The family soap opera

Image from IMDb

The slim plot that the movie does pertain focuses on several family  dramas, primarily in regards to Credence. Not only does he have family  issues, this is also evident through the other characters as well. For  example, Newt and his brother Theseus share several awkward interactions  within the film due to his position in the Ministry of Magic.

That example is miles ahead in simplicity than that of the other  family dramas. That’s right, there are plenty of other dramas. From the  brothers’ feud, the insane bloodline of Lita LeStrange’s family, and the  weird love between Queenie and Jacob, there are too many conflicts for  the film to fully address.

Without the time to fully explain each family issue, it creates giant  gaps in backstory that are essential to the characters’ actions. The  film only shows stubborn people not doing simple tasks for unknown  reasons. It is only near the end of the film when the plot finally  explains, in the short time that it has, why characters were making it  difficult on themselves.

However, there is one exception to this confusion that was rather  satisfying. This was the role that Dumbledore played within the film.  Instead of tossing him in with the rest of the mess, the plot primarily  keeps Dumbledore at Hogwarts. Due to the small amount of time that  Dumbledore is shown, the scenes that do contain him are carefully  crafted. The film quickly shows Dumbledore’s true cunning nature by  recruiting Newt to fight Grindelwald for him. Furthermore, the backstory  between Grindelwald and Dumbledore is straightforward and admiring.

Grindelwald vs. the Ministry of Magic

Image from IMDb

When it comes to the movie’s portrayal of good against evil, it is  sorely lacking in multiple areas. With the first film, there wasn’t much  explanation behind all of the crimes that Grindelwald did in order for  them to warrant his capture. Therefore, Crimes of Grindelwald  needs a lot of backstory and action to really build its villain.  However, the film does the opposite. While the film provides background  in regards to Dumbledore and it does show him murdering a couple  wizards, he is oddly missing throughout the film. This could be due to  the amount of other drama or Johnny Depp’s court issues, but it is still  disappointing.

Furthermore, the film never shows Grindelwald actually recruiting an  army to take over the world. Therefore, the ending feels rushed because  of the sudden action that Grindelwald decides to take, without any  reason whatsoever. This could be because the film practically introduces  another villain: the Ministry of Magic.

Throughout the Harry Potter universe, the Ministry of Magic has  always been rather questionable in terms of ethics. However, there was  always some good that was presented in them within these films. In Crimes of Grindelwald,  all ethics are thrown out the window. In the film, the Ministry of  Magic is constantly acting as judge, jury, and executioner. For example,  one of the Ministry’s wizards literally murders another person because  they got a little frightened. While this may be JK Rowling’s poor  attempt to display modern issues like police brutality, it doesn’t  translate well in a fictional setting.

Visually jarring effects

Image from IMDb

When remembering the old franchise, the magic was always entertaining to watch. Luckily, this continues to be the case in Crimes of Grindelwald.  For example, it was entertaining to see the use of magic dust as a  method for showing Newt what occurred at an accident before he got  there.

Despite this example, there aren’t many other cases of magic that  series veterans don’t know about. The movie reuses a lot of the same  spells from the previous series, or they simply don’t explain how a new  spell works. While this might because of the lack of the school  environment, it would be reasonable to explain how new spells work in  order to avoid any major plot holes.

Also, the series doesn’t present magic as much as the previous film.  While there are still magical beasts and spells that were honestly a  major highlight of the film, it was definitely pushed to the side in  favor of a more plot-driven story. However, the additional use of these  magical moments would have created a greater sense of connection between  the plot and characters.

Besides spells, the use of basic visual effects were dismal. For  example, the movie opens up with a chariot riding in a storm. While this  might not be practical, it also distorts many of the characters’  actions within this sequence. This creates confusion within the viewer  as they try to understand what is happening within the film.  Furthermore, there were several editing flaws that should have been  solved during production. In one scene, a character is examining a desk  at Hogwarts. While this may seem like a simple scene, the amount of the  camera shaking was incredibly unprofessional. This and scenes where the  same piece of footage is reused were incredibly disappointing because of  how simple it should have been to fix.

Images: IMDb

Featured Image: IMDb

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Byte BSU!