‘THINK: PEACE’ is R&B Eccentric Clarence Clarity’s poppiest record yet

With his debut album, No Now, London singer, songwriter, and  producer Clarence Clarity did something very few artists have done; he  introduced himself to the world with a sound that is truly unlike any  other artist. His uniquely glitchy, maximalist, surreal brand of  alternative R&B set himself apart from everybody else, and was a big  part of what made No Now one of the best pop albums of the 21st  century. It was quite the act to follow up, so it’s no wonder it was  three years before he released a follow-up.

THINK: PEACE is an interesting follow-up for people who have  been following Clarence since his debut record. Not only is this new  record almost half the length of No Now, but the majority of the  tracks had been released to the public before being released in the  context of the record. Some of the tracks have even been released for  nearly two years before the release of THINK: PEACE. Almost all  of the tracks have been adjusted to flow with the rest of the record, so  the album doesn’t suffer from sounding like a compilation. But for  someone who had been listening to some of these songs for a while, THINK: PEACE doesn’t sound quite as fresh as it could’ve been coming into it blind.

Clarence Clarity’s most accessible effort yet

The material on THINK: PEACE itself, disregarding context, is a  great showcase of the best aspects of Clarence’s talent as a producer  and songwriter, but taken in a whole new direction. No Now may be  a pop album, but it could never be considered accessible. The  production took no prisoners in it’s glitchiness, unpredictability, and  ruthless experimentation. At some points, like on “Bloodbarf” or “With  No Fear”, it’s more of a deconstruction of pop.

With THINK: PEACE, Clarence really embraces his poppier side  on a lot of these tracks. The majority of the poppier tracks are so  immaculately written and structured, especially with the choruses. He  always was a master of writing killer hooks, so this could be seen as a  natural transition. However, he managed the tricky task of leaning on  his poppier side while still providing the insane production that made No Now so mind-blowing.

Yet another challenge was changing up songs people have known for a  while; but that was also met. “Vapid Feels Are Vapid” was one of the  best pop songs of 2016, and this new album version still maintain the  infectiousness of the single. “SAME?” is actually an improvement on the  single; the original featured Clarence’s maximalist production turned up  to 11 which made it claustrophobic. The album version cut the fat,  giving the strength of the hook (especially in the final chorus) the  ability to shine. No songs were really ruined by the changes made for  the record.

For those who enjoyed Clarence’s previous music for its more  experimental elements, while this will probably not top his debut, his  avant-garde edge is still present. His more outlandish musical moments  especially show up in the transitions. The second half of “Fold  ‘Em/Silver Lake Reservoir” is an absolutely beautiful transition to the  album’s slow jam, “Tru(e) Love”. It’s a refreshingly serene break from  the busyness of Clarence’s normal style. Even “Tru(e) Love” breaks into a  mind-bending sonic detour that echoes experimental producer Arca at  times with the types of synth tones used. But the most impactful left  hook is probably the closer, “2016”. It starts off as this slow,  haunting piece featuring Clarence’s vocals sounding the most mournful  they have ever sounded. The energetic break right in the middle only  makes the return to this same, slow mantra even more of an emotional  ending. Overall, while THINK: PEACE doesn’t see Clarence Clarity pushing the envelope as much as on his debut record, when he does it’s in fresh, new ways.

More personal Lyrics, but at what cost?

Really, the only shift in direction that is a detriment to the record  are the lyrics. The most notable things about Clarence’s music on No Now  were his unique style of production and his songwriting, but one of the  more underappreciated aspects were the lyrics. If you take the time to  pay attention the lyrics, you’ll find some head-scratching, but  intriguing stuff. They are often very esoteric, but paint very odd,  vivid pictures. Themes of religion, sex, and technology are covered  throughout the album, and even more taboo topics aren’t shied away from  (just take a look at the lyrics of “Buck-Toothed Particle Smashers”). It  was just as boundary pushing lyrically as it was instrumentally.

This is where THINK: PEACE differs the most. THINK: PEACE,  from the looks of the lyrics, reads as a breakup album. It is a nice  seeing Clarence come through with lyrics that are more personal and  vulnerable. It’s also much easier to actually hear the lyrics on THINK: PEACE;  Clarence’s vocals are not sonically manipulated or buried by the dense  production on this record. However, it seems that as his lyrics got more  personal, they became less interesting and creative. It’s an  understandable side effect, it’s hard to be open emotionally when hiding  behind a lot of hard-to-decipher imagery. Listening through the record,  the lyrics are one of the last things that pique interest. The madness  and eccentricity of the music these lyrics are buried in isn’t exactly  helping; it isn’t really the kind of music that pairs well with more  personal, sombre lyrics.

Recommended If You Like:

Rina Sawayama

Iglooghost

SOPHIE

Top Tracks:

“Naysayer, Magick Obeyer”

“Next Best Thing”

“SAME?”

Featured Image: Twitter

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Bytebsu!