Cardinals rise to second in MAC with win over Buffalo

Ball State’s soccer team celebrates after Tatiana Mason scored a goal putting the Cardinals in the lead during the second half of the game against the University of Nebraska-Omaha on Friday, Sept. 14, 2018 at Briner Sports Complex. Ball State went on to defeat Omaha 3 to 1 with all goals being scored in the second half of the game. Eric Pritchett,DN

Ball State Soccer (9-3-2, MAC 5-2-1) improves to four consecutive wins in a 1-0 victory over Buffalo (10-5, MAC 4-4) on Sunday afternoon. The Cardinals finish off the weekend going 2-0. 

The Cardinals won off of freshman defender, Kennedy Metzger’s cross that bounced off the Bulls goalkeeper and went in. The Cardinals led with 15 total shots, led by freshman forward Tatiana Mason, senior midfielder Lauren Roll and junior midfielder Julia Elvbo all with three a piece. Seven of the team’s shots were on target.  Senior goalkeeper, Tristan Stuteville had three saves for the Cardinals.

The Bulls had 10 total shots, with three of them on target. Sophomore forward Marcy Barberic and sophomore midfielder Kaitlyn Walsh led with two shots each for the Bulls.  Freshman goalkeeper, Emily Kelly had six saves for the Bulls.

“I don't think we are playing at our best yet,” Head coach Roberts said. “We have to continue to address detail.”

The Cardinals have now won four MAC games in a row.  The Cardinals continue conference play in Michigan next weekend at Central Michigan on Thursday and at Eastern Michigan on Sunday.

Contact Tyler Pence with any comments at tapence@bsu.edu or on Twitter @tylerpencee