What to know before heading to the polls

<p>Indiana elections will be held Tuesday, Nov. 6. Voters should bring a valid photo ID. <strong>AP Photo</strong>&nbsp;</p>

Indiana elections will be held Tuesday, Nov. 6. Voters should bring a valid photo ID. AP Photo 

The 2018 General Election will be held from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 6, and there are a variety of things voters should know before casting their vote. 

Whether it’s a person’s first time voting or their 20th, the process can be intimidating. 

Here’s a quick look at what a voter should know before heading to the polls: 

Should I have done something before election day? 

In order to vote on election day, one must be registered to vote. The deadline for registration was Oct. 9. Voter registration is now closed and will reopen Dec. 3, according to the 2018 Indiana Election Calendar. 

The address a voter used to register determines their polling location because it is based off the county and school district a voter lives in. 

Once registered, there are two ways to vote: in-person and absentee. 

How do I vote in-person?

Voters can attend their polling location between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Nov. 6. Polling locations can be found by entering a name, birthday and county at indianavoters.in.gov

In order to vote in person, voters will need a government-issued photo ID that expires after Nov. 6, 2018. This can include a state ID, driver’s license, military ID or passport. 

How do I cast an absentee ballot? 

An absentee voter casts their ballot before Election Day. In Indiana, early voting began Oct. 10 and will end Nov. 5. 

There are three ways to vote absentee: 

First, an absentee in-person vote can be cast by going to the voter’s County Clerk’s office. These voters will need to bring a valid photo ID. Indiana clerk’s office contact information can be found here.

Second, one can vote absentee-by-mail. These voters will have had to mail in an application for an absentee ballot to their County Clerk’s office by Oct. 29. These voters receive an absentee ballot, usually a week after the application was sent in. They should then fill out the ballot and mail it back to the Clerk’s office before Nov. 6. 

The last way to vote absentee is to vote through the use of a traveling board. A traveling board consists of two poll workers who will bring a ballot to the voter’s house and assist the voter in filling out the ballot. Voters may only vote absentee this way if they are experiencing illness or injury, caring for a person who can’t leave their home on Election Day, or have a disability which prevents them from reaching their polling location. 

What if I don’t have a ride to the polls? 

If someone missed the absentee deadline but can’t make it to the polls due to transportation issues, they can reach out to Indiana Rides to the Polls at 317-245-4417. 

Uber and Lyft also will offer discounted rides to the polls on election day, according to Snopes