What to do during Ball State Homecoming week

<p>The annual Homecoming Parade traveled from Muncie Central High School through campus on Oct. 21, 2017, to start off the day's Homecoming festivities. Local businesses, community leaders and campus organizations created floats to go along with the year's theme "Around the World." <strong>Reagan Allen, DN</strong></p>

The annual Homecoming Parade traveled from Muncie Central High School through campus on Oct. 21, 2017, to start off the day's Homecoming festivities. Local businesses, community leaders and campus organizations created floats to go along with the year's theme "Around the World." Reagan Allen, DN

Homecoming is one of the most popular times of the year for Ball State students, faculty and alumni. 

As the university is celebrating its centennial year, it is only fitting that this year’s Homecoming theme is “The Celebration of the Century.” 

With events every single day leading up to the football game Saturday afternoon, now is the time to create your bucket list for Homecoming 2018. 

Here’s a quick look at the different events to try throughout the week: 

1. Win the Flag Football tournament on Sunday.

Start Homecoming Week off with a bang by becoming champions of the Flag Football Tournament at West Campus Fields starting at 11 a.m. All teams must be co-ed and have at least three female players.

2. Grab some food with friends at the Food Truck Festival on Monday.

From 6-8 p.m. on Martin Street between Beechwood and University avenues in The Village, there will be several food trucks to purchase from, as well as musical entertainment and interactive games.

3. Enjoy live entertainment at the annual Talent Search on Tuesday.

Starting at 7:30 p.m., 20 performers across seven categories will compete for a categorical $500 scholarship. The overall winner will receive an additional $500 scholarship. This will take place in Emens Auditorium and admission is free.

4. Make supper plans for the Dinner of the Century on Wednesday.

At 5:30 p.m. in Woodworth Commons, Dining Services will prepare a Homecoming-themed menu complete with decorations. The cost for this meal is one $8.60 swipe.

5. Support your favorite organization at the Annual Air Jam competition on Thursday.

An annual Ball State staple since 1987, 20 student organizations will participate in a lip-sync competition. The event is at 7:30 p.m. in Emens Auditorium and tickets can be purchased for $15 each at the Emens Box Office.

6. Cheer on your favorite team at the Annual Bed Race on Friday.

Another Homecoming tradition dating back to 1980, the Bed Race consists of teams racing down Riverside Avenue at noon in makeshift beds. Plaques will be given out to division winners and trophies will go to the teams with the best costume and overall winner.

7. Watch a showing of “Mission: Impossible Fallout” for Friday Night Filmworks on Friday night.

With showings at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., the Homecoming Steering Committee is pairing up with UPB to play the action-packed movie. Pop-sockets will be given away to the first 100 attendees.

8. Get your morning workout in by running in the Chase Charlie 5K Saturday morning.

At 9:15 a.m., the 18th annual Chase Charlie 5K Run/Walk will begin near Muncie City Hall and end at Scotty’s Brewhouse. Registration costs $35 the day of the race and T-shirts will be given out while supplies last.

9. Catch your breath and relax by watching the parade afterwards.

Starting in 1939, the parade has been one of the longest standing Homecoming traditions. This year, no more than 100 floats are able to register in order to properly celebrate Ball State’s 100th year. The parade starts at 9:30 a.m. at Muncie Central High School and makes its way through The Village and down North McKinley Avenue.

10. Finish off Homecoming Week by cheering the football team to victory Saturday

afternoon.

The Cardinals face off against Eastern Michigan at 3 p.m. The Homecoming King and Queen, Prince and Princess and Lady and Lad will all be crowned at halftime during the game.