Field Hockey opens conference play against Miami (OH)

<p>Ball State Field Hockey players congratulate each other after a goal was scored against Ohio Aug. 27 at Briner Sports Complex. The Cardinals won 4-1. Patrick Murphy, DN</p>

Ball State Field Hockey players congratulate each other after a goal was scored against Ohio Aug. 27 at Briner Sports Complex. The Cardinals won 4-1. Patrick Murphy, DN

Ball State Field Hockey (0-6, 0-0 MAC) returns home Saturday, Sept. 15 to face Miami (OH) (3-4, 0-0 MAC).

The game will be the first MAC matchup of the season for either team. The Cardinals return home for the first time since their Aug. 26 loss to Indiana. 

After a winless weekend on the road, the Cardinals look forward to return to a familiar territory. A 0-6 loss to Ohio State and a 1-2 loss to Lehigh left something to be desired by the Cardinals. The two matchups,  the opposition combined for 29 shots, while the Cardinals had only eight of their own. Redshirt Junior forward Michelle Shampton scored the only goal for the Cardinals through the two games. Sophomore goalkeeper Grace Chavez was active, with 14 combined saves.

“I know it’s going to be hard work for us, but if we work as a team,” junior forward Arantxa Rosainz Caloca said. “I think we will be alright and our performance will be the best one so far.”

The Redhawks are coming off a 2-1 road loss to No. 24 Boston University. Mariona Heras scored the Redhawks only goal in the game. Paula Portugal and Leonor Berlie had two shots each. The loss was the Redhawks third straight. 

“It’s an awesome challenge,” head coach Stephanie Bernthal said. “It’s a great way to work on the things we’re focusing on and continue to grow. If we can perform at out top level, we can certainly put a great game together against them.”

The Cardinals host the Redhawks Saturday, Sept. 15 at 12 p.m. at Briner Sports Complex

Contact Gavin Crafton with any comments at gncrafton@bsu.edu or on Twitter @GavinCrafton