Field Hockey drops third straight game to Dartmouth

<p>Ball State field hockey was started in 1975. Since its inception, it has seen 18 All-American selections. <strong>Breanna Daugherty, DN</strong></p>

Ball State field hockey was started in 1975. Since its inception, it has seen 18 All-American selections. Breanna Daugherty, DN

After dropping their first two games of the season, Ball State Field Hockey (0-3, 0-0 MAC) was looking to get into the win column for the first time this season against Dartmouth (1-1, 0-0 Ivy League). The Cardinals found the back of the net for the first time this season, but would eventually fall to the Big Green, 5-1. 

Sophomore forward Abby Ferenczy scored the inaugural goal of the 2018 season for the Cardinals early in the first half. Shortly following the Cardinals lone goal, Dartmouth’s Katie Person responded with a goal of her own. Kira Koehler and Jocelyn Wulf scored one goal each to wrap up the half, putting the Cardinals down 3-1. In the second half, Katie Spanos scored for Dartmouth, and Katie Person scored her second goal of the game.  

The Cardinals had four shot attempts to the Big Green's 18. The Cardinals did not have a single corner shot, while the Big Green drew six. Sophomore goalkeeper Grace Chavez, senior midfielder Anya Eicher, and forwards sophomore Audrey Tabor and redshirt junior Michelle Shampton played all 70 minutes. Chavez recorded 5 saves.  

“We always have to address the negatives, the challenges and things that just aren’t good enough," Head coach Stephanie Bernathal said. "There are things we tried to implement today that just didn’t click for us.  We weren’t able to execute consistently. The positive is that we can do it. The issue is we gotta solve the consistency.”  

The Cardinals will finish up their weekend taking on host Iowa. The Hawkeyes are coming off a 6-0 blowout win over the Big Green on Friday. The Cardinals will face the Hawkeyes on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. in Iowa City. 

Contact Gavin Crafton with any comments at gncrafton@bsu.edu or on Twitter @GavinCrafton