University Program Board: Bringing entertainment since 1953

<p>University Program Board released its fall semester Friday Night Filmworks schedule. It has hosted a variety of events to entertain students since 1953. <strong>University Program Board, Photo Provided</strong></p>

University Program Board released its fall semester Friday Night Filmworks schedule. It has hosted a variety of events to entertain students since 1953. University Program Board, Photo Provided

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.    

University Program Board (UPB) was originally organized as a volunteer student organization in 1953. 

It has evolved overtime to offer the best, most appealing entertainment to students. Currently, UPD initiates a variety of activities such as Friday Night Filmworks in order to keep campus the focus of community life for university students and faculty, according to its website. 

One full-time advisor and three graduate assistants advise the organization. All of UPB’s programs are funded through student fees. 

UPB is the largest programming organization campus has to offer. Anyone is able to join and help host cultural events, educational programs and entertainment for students. 

UPB’s most popular event is held in Pruis Hall every Friday night of the semester. Friday Night Filmworks offers some of the most recent blockbusters to students for free. Admission for guests 16 and older is $1. 

In 2007, when UPB showed "Evan Almighty," it also hosted an ark-building contest. Five teams competed for concession vouchers, using only popsicle sticks, aluminum foil and glue. In the end, there were two winning teams. 

This semester’s line up of films include “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” “Incredibles 2” and “Ant-Man and The Wasp.” Food and drinks are available for purchase at every event. At the end of the spring semester, students are able to vote on a movie they’d like to see played. 

In addition to hosting its own events, UPB helps co-sponsor other student programs, sharing costs and labor equally. 

Read more centennial content here.

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.