Forgotten Faces and Places of Muncie

The Cornerstone Center of the Arts and The Ball State University GIS Research and Map Collection are coming together to educate the Muncie community about the town’s history and culture.

On Tuesday The Cornerstone Center of the Arts will be hosting the Forgotten Places and Faces of Muncie. This event will feature a wide variety of maps, photographs, newspaper articles and diary entries related to Muncie’s unique past. Jessie Fisher, Director of Education and Communication for the arts center, spoke of their role in preserving Muncie culture.

“We actually have the perfect place to hold a historic workshop based on the natural historic setting,” Jessie said. “We’re not what this building was meant to do, so repurposing it and keeping it alive for the next generation is very important to us.”

This event will be free to all and allow attendees to get a glimpse at the resources available to The GIS Research and Map Collection at Ball State. Melissa Gentry, Map Collections Assistant and speaker at the upcoming event, spoke of what attendees can expect to see come showtime.

“There is that facebook page called lost Muncie,” Melissa said. “So we are using that same material from the page to inform the audience about buildings and people of Muncie that no longer exist.”

For a chance to learn something new about Muncie head to The Cornerstone Center of the arts on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.