Ball State decides to keep John Schnatter's name on building

<p>Founder of Papa John's John Schnatter resigned as chairman of the board last week after using a racial slur on a conference call. Now, he is suing the company. <strong>AP Photo.&nbsp;</strong></p>

Founder of Papa John's John Schnatter resigned as chairman of the board last week after using a racial slur on a conference call. Now, he is suing the company. AP Photo. 

Weeks after John Schnatter, founder of Papa John's Pizza and Ball State alumnus, resigned as chairman of the board, Ball State's Board of Trustees decided to keep Schnatter's name on a school building. 

Schnatter resigned in early July after admitting to using a racial slur during a conference call, though he has since said resigning was a mistake.

In 2016, Schnatter, along with the Koch brothers, donated $3.25 million to the university.

Now, Ball State has decided to keep Schnatter's donation and the name for the building, the "John H. Schnatter Institute for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise." 

In a statement from board president Rick Hall, Hall said the language used by Schnatter was "insensitive and painful to others." However, Hall said Schnatter's response — issuing an apology and denouncing racism — had reaffirmed that Schnatter's views align with the university's.

"In our experience with John, he has never expressed racist views," Hall said in the statement.  "He has demonstrated himself to be an individual who is very appreciative of his fortunate situation and cares deeply about about creating an environment in which all enterprising individuals have the opportunity to succeed.  With such perspective, John has generously shared his blessings through his contributions to universities and other philanthropic activities."

Hall said the board understands some will disagree with the decision made, but he hopes "all will share in the Board’s unwavering commitment to a diverse and welcoming campus."

The entire statement can be read here:

To the Ball State Community:

Ball State alumnus, John Schnatter, has been the subject of media reports regarding his comments in a private meeting in May. As a result, the Board of Trustees has been asked whether his name will be removed from the John H. Schnatter Institute for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise.

Higher education plays a unique role in the support of free speech and the exchange of ideas that lead to better understanding. In that pursuit, it does not mandate perfection. The language used by John was insensitive and painful to others, making a review of context appropriate.

To such end, we have the following understanding of John’s comments. They were made in a private meeting with consultants, from which he was seeking advice as to how to communicate in a way that would be less offensive to others. In the course of the conversation, he recited his understanding of another’s use of the “N word”. He did so not in a derogatory manner seeking to demean any individuals or groups; rather it was used as an example of improper conduct.   

John has acknowledged, notwithstanding his intentions, that his use of the word was inappropriate. His response was to promptly issue an apology and unequivocally denounce racism. He has reaffirmed those views to us personally, and such sentiment is consistent with Ball State’s values.

In our experience with John, he has never expressed racist views.  He has demonstrated himself to be an individual who is very appreciative of his fortunate situation and cares deeply about creating an environment in which all enterprising individuals have the opportunity to succeed.  With such perspective, John has generously shared his blessings through his contributions to universities and other philanthropic activities.

Based on our current understanding of what transpired, John’s response to the current situation, and our experience with him, the Board will continue our support of the John H. Schnatter Institute for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise.

While we recognize that some will disagree with our position on this particular matter, we hope all will share in the Board’s unwavering commitment to a diverse and welcoming campus. Through our continued work together, Ball State can advance a sense of community that is so essential to the creation of a stronger Indiana and a healthier society. 

Sincerely,

Rick Hall