Richard Burkhardt: Ball State's 8th president

<p>Richard Burkhardt served as the eighth president of Ball State from 1978-79. He first began working for the university in 1952 when it was only a college for teachers.<strong> Ball State, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Richard Burkhardt served as the eighth president of Ball State from 1978-79. He first began working for the university in 1952 when it was only a college for teachers. Ball State, Photo Provided

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history. 

Richard Burkhardt became the eighth president of the university in 1978 after the resignation of John Pruis. 

He joined Ball State as dean of the Teachers College when it was the only college at Ball State in 1952. In 1961, Burkhardt also became acting dean of the Division of Sciences and Humanities. 

When Ball State became a university in 1965, he was appointed vice president for instructional affairs and dean of faculties, a position he held for nearly 20 years, according to Ball State’s website. 

Burkhardt served as acting president for just one year from 1978-79 while the university tried to find a replacement for Pruis, finally deciding on Jerry Anderson in 1979. After serving as president, Burkhardt returned to the history department as a distinguished service professor and taught courses until his retirement in 1985. 

Ball State saw a lot of growth during Burkhardt’s time with the university. It began awarding doctorate degrees, acquired the state’s first college of architecture and grew in size from nearly 3,000 students to 18,000, according to Burkhardt’s obituary. 

Though he retired from the university, his work didn’t stop as he researched and co-wrote two books that published in 1985 and 1991. 

After it underwent renovations in 1985, what was previously known as Science Hall — from 1924 to 1976 — and East Quadrangle Building — from 1976 to 1985 — was renamed Burkhardt Building in his honor. The building, which was completed in 1924, is one of the oldest on campus and now houses the departments of history, anthropology and women’s and gender studies. 

Before starting his long career at Ball State, Burkhardt received his undergraduate degree in history from Knox College and two masters and a doctorate from Harvard University. He also was a teacher and served as director of the division of teacher preparation at Syracuse University. 

Burkhardt died March 4, 2014, at the age of 95.

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.