The Scramble Light, located at the intersection of McKinley and Riverside avenues, was first operational Sept. 22, 1959. Now, it is used for charity fundraisers, political protests and community-building. Brynn Mechem, DN
The Scramble Light: Ball State's intersection of safety and culture
Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.
From bagpipes to being damned to Hell, marching bands and brass horns, Ball State University's Scramble Light has become much more than a place for thousands to safely walk across campus.
The Scramble Light, located at the intersection of McKinley and Riverside avenues, was first operational Sept. 22, 1959, according to Ball State's official Twitter.
In the nearly 60 years since, the bricked intersection has played center stage for community-building, charity fundraisers, political protests and more.
The Scramble Light grants students safety as they cross the intersection, stopping all vehicular traffic for 30 seconds. It has become a pivotal path between the Quad and the northern half of campus.
In the past, the intersection has been paid visits by individuals such as Brother Jed Smock, a preacher with Campus Ministry USA. The Scramble Light was the backdrop of religious tension as Smock and others held signs suggesting the eternal suffering of Ball State students.
Beyond that, the Scramble Light has been the grounds for charity fundraisers such as the University Police Department's annual Dunk-a-Cop. The event has raised money for Riley Children's Hospital for the past four years.
Additionally, various organizations use the light as a way to get new members and occasionally hand out food.