College of Architecture and Planning: State-assisted and focused on sustainability

<p>Ball State's College of Architecture and Planning was founded in 1965. It is the only state-assisted architecture school in Indiana. <strong>Jordan Huffer, DN File</strong></p>

Ball State's College of Architecture and Planning was founded in 1965. It is the only state-assisted architecture school in Indiana. Jordan Huffer, DN File

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history. 

On Nov. 20, 1964, 25 architects petitioned the Indiana State Legislative Advisory Commission to consider establishing a state-supported School of Architecture. 

Their plea was approved and the next task was figuring out which university would house the school. Five parties expressed interest: Indiana State College, Ball State, Purdue University, Indiana University and the city of Indianapolis. 

Ball State was chosen and the Indiana General Assembly allocated $30,000 to its first year of operation and $70,000 to its second.  

A nationwide search for the first dean was held and 40 applicants responded. In the end, Charles Sappenfield was chosen for the job. 

In 1965, the college, which only had four teachers at the time, was opened. In 1966, two years ahead of schedule, the first class — totaling 165 students — was admitted. 

Now, as Indiana’s only state-assisted architecture school, the college offers students a choice of one of three tracks: architecture, landscape architecture and urban planning. 

A large aim of the college is to get students to think about sustainability. Through classes, students learn to design spaces that are environmentally, economically and socially sustainable. 

In fact, there are a variety of organizations that students can get involved in to help continue that line of thinking including Ball State Energy Action Team, Council on the Environment, Emerging Green Builders and Students for a Sustainable Campus. 

Students in the program can choose to partake in field-study trips that take them across the globe. Past students have traveled to Europe, Asia, South America and Australia to practice their skills. 

In their first year of study, students will take courses in a variety of disciplines. However, before entering their sophomore year, students are asked to declare a major. 

Once this happens, they are assigned a design studio within CAP’s facilities. The studios are fully stocked and are accessible at all hours of the day. 

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.