This day in Ball State history: Groundbreaking ceremony for Bracken Library

<p>The Roll Call edition of The Daily News shows Bracken Library when it opened in 1975. On May 24, 1972, ground was broken on the building. <strong>Ball State Digital Media Repository</strong></p>

The Roll Call edition of The Daily News shows Bracken Library when it opened in 1975. On May 24, 1972, ground was broken on the building. Ball State Digital Media Repository

On this day 46 years, eight shovels stood at the north edge of the Emens Parking Lot and McKinley Avenue. 

At 2:30 p.m May 24, 1972, these shovels dug the soil to symbolize the groundbreaking of a Ball State landmark. A project in which interest dates back to March 1967.

The library got its name from Alexander M. Bracken who played a role in the community as both a local attorney and president of the Board of Trustees. 

The construction of Bracken Library cost the university a total of $14.9 million.  

Maurice Mann director of planning services in 1975, said building the library was no easy task.

“It is like buying a new car.” Mann said. “You have to take the care back to the service department to work out the minor bugs.”

While ground broke in 1972, Bracken Library did not open until September 1975 and was still uncompleted when opened.