Indianapolis son, mother arrested after shooting in Muncie

<p><strong>Mara Semon, Unified Media</strong></p>

Mara Semon, Unified Media

An Indianapolis man was arrested after police said he shot another man in Muncie.

Muncie police were called to the scene of a shooting at the Marathon Food Mart in the 900 block of East Main Street Saturday after a verbal argument turned into a physical fight, then a shooting. 

DaShawn Drye, 18, of Indianapolis, was arrested and preliminary charged with attempted murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, criminal recklessness with a handgun and carrying a handgun without a license. 

When the victim tried to run away from the store, police said in a probable cause affidavit that Drye “followed and continued to fire rounds at him.” 

The affidavit said people who were inside the store were in a direct line of fire and ran out. 

After firing several shots, both in the store and out of the store, Drye left the scene in a vehicle.

A short time after the shooting, when the Delaware County Sheriff’s Office was behind Drye’s vehicle, police said Tanna Drye, DaShawn’s mother, took the handgun and threw it out the car window. 

Upon arrest, DaShawn admitted to investigators that he shot the victim and did not have a license to carry the handgun. 

Tanna, 33, also of Indianapolis, was arrested and preliminary charged with obstruction of justice. 

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @AndrewSmithNews.