Standing up to Logan Paul: An interview with 'Toyooka' director Jeremy Rubier

by Emily Reuben Logan Paul made huge waves when he released his now infamous vlog where he filmed a corpse in Japan’s Suicide Forest. Despite his public apology Paul has continued to remain in the public eye, drawing attention from various sources such as The New York TimesDaily Mail, and Business Insider. This widespread attention has forced many to consider the powerful influence YouTubers have on their audiences. But what about the impact vloggers like Logan Paul have on filmmakers?  To answer this question, we spoke with Jeremy Rubier, a French-Canadian filmmaker who has traveled the world for the past ten years to create new videos. Jeremy has created videos for various companies, including Red Bull and Vice. His new short film, Toyooka, is a direct response to Logan Paul’s controversial video.

Toyooka
Q: Would you mind telling us a little about your upcoming short film Toyooka?
Rubier: Toyooka
Q: Going off of that, and you touched on it a bit, but it’s really interesting that the video is about Toyooka and you show yourself so little. And you talked about how you want the bigger themes to come together, and you don’t want to speak; you want the video to speak for itself. But in regards to bridging that gap between vloggers and more traditional filmmakers such as yourself, do you think its necessary for someone like you to put yourself out there a little more?
Rubier: 
Q: What was your ultimate goal in creating Toyooka and was there a particular message you wanted to convey to your viewers?
Rubier:
Image courtesy of Jeremy Rubier
Q: So with the rise of YouTubers and vloggers, people can essentially travel the world with these people from the comfort of their own home. How does that personal connection with these content creators affect how these people feel about the places they’re being shown? And how would you say that that’s different from the response you get when people view your videos?
Rubier:
Q: As someone who has traveled to so many countries to film, what are some special considerations you think vloggers, film makers, or anyone with a camera should keep in mind when filming in a foreign country and sharing a foreign culture with viewers?
Rubier: 
Image courtesy of Jeremy Rubier

***

Toyooka ith filmmakers  like Jeremy Rubier  at the helm.
Instagram Soundcloud Vimeo his website