Board of Trustees approves new parking structure

<p>The Ball State Board of Trustees approved the building of a new parking structure Friday, March 30. The structure, which will be built along New York Avenue, will have 600 parking spots. <strong>Ball State University, Photo Provided</strong></p>

The Ball State Board of Trustees approved the building of a new parking structure Friday, March 30. The structure, which will be built along New York Avenue, will have 600 parking spots. Ball State University, Photo Provided

The Board of Trustees voted to approve a new parking structure off of New York Avenue Friday. 

The structure, which will cost $12.6 million to build, would replace Emens Garage, said Bernard Hannon, vice president for business affairs and treasurer. 

Hannon said this new garage was a necessity because Emens Garage is almost 50 years old.

“Chunks of concrete fall on cars from time to time,” Hannon said. “There are about 600 spots so it would be hard to renovate it so we want to relocate it.” 

The new structure, which is designed by Ball State alumnus Sean Bright, will have 600 parking spots and be located just east of Park Hall, in front of the Studebaker complexes. It will be four floors and have handicap-accessible elevators and security cameras throughout. 

Jim Lowe, associate vice president for facilities planning and management, said the new structure will be inclusive for everyone.  

"The new structure, as well as all other parking structures and surface lots currently on campus, have many spaces dedicated to students, faculty and staff to accommodate the parking needs of those who have some type of disability," Lowe said. 

Bright said the designs also include the integration of bicycle parking and the shared-use path as well as charging stations for electric cars. Additionally, he said a bus stop would be added along New York Avenue for easier access to the garage. 

The total project cost is $18 million, Hannon said, which includes the $800,000 Emens Garage demolition cost and the cost of turning the demolished area into a Grand Lawn, consistent to the Campus Master Plan.  

Construction is set to begin this summer and end in 2019. Lowe said the university will continue to evaluate the need for parking and where parking can be constructed in the future.

Additionally, the board approved a property exchange between Ball State and the Ball State University Foundation. The university would give the foundation a vacant lot on Martin Street in exchange for two vacant lots on Jackson and McKinley streets.

Hannon said this is a good exchange because the property the foundation currently owns is contiguous to campus, which would allow the university to expand. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @BrynnMechem.