'Into the Breach' is a brilliant bite-sized battle with giant bugs

by Tanner Kinney The roguelike and roguelite genres have been massively successful in the past decade, particularly in the indie scene. The ability to make small, low-budget games that are infinitely replayable is an enticing prospect to a lot of small indie developers. Unfortunately, Steam’s oversaturation problems have made it so a lot of these titles end up not receiving the attention they deserve. Plus, a lot of these roguelikes fail to do anything truly special with the genre. Even the excellent Heat Signature from last year failed to be truly replayable despite a cool aesthetic and world. However, just in the first few months of this year, the genre seems to be climbing back up. The absolutely phenomenal Slay the Spire, despite being early access, has drained countless hours of its playerbase, myself included. And now, from the developers of one of the biggest roguelike games FTL: Faster Than Light enters Into the Breach, another incredibly smartly designed and addictive roguelike that manages to be deep both in gameplay and emotionally.

A battle against aliens on a large scale but a small battlefield

Into the Breach FTL: Faster than Light
Image from PC Gamer
Into the Breach X-Com Into the Breach
Fire Emblem,

A bright pixel aesthetic to contrast the dark, high energy soundtrack

Image from Rock, Paper, Shotgun
FTL: Faster than Light Into the Breach Into the Breach, FTL: Faster than Light Into the Breach FTL: Faster than Light Into the Breach Into the Breach’s FTL: Faster than Light’s,

Addiction made manifest through a smart progression system, but sometimes fails

Image from LiveAtPC.com
Slay the Spire Into the Breach X-Com,
Wccftech