Haley Dominique 2nd player named MAC West Softball Player of the Week this season

Head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett talks with junior second baseman Maddy Labrador before her turn at bat during the second game of the double-header against Northern Illinois on April 4 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Ball State won  6-4. Emma Rogers // DN
Head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett talks with junior second baseman Maddy Labrador before her turn at bat during the second game of the double-header against Northern Illinois on April 4 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Ball State won 6-4. Emma Rogers // DN

Ball State softball's bats have been alive so far this season. This past weekend, the team went 4-1 and totaled 25 runs while only allowing 11. A main reason for the Cardinal's success this season can be credited to sophomore Haley Dominique, who has been named Mid-American Conference West Softball Player of the Week. 

Dominique kicked off a strong weekend in North Carolina with a home run against East Carolina on Friday to lead Ball State to a 4-11 victory. Dominique also found home plate against the Pirates the following day as she was apart of a seven-run fourth inning that led to a 7-2 blowout win over East Carolina. Majority of Dominique's work came in the final game of the weekend against Canisius. In all four at bats, Dominique scored one run off a pair of hits in an 11-4 win. 

"Haley had a very good weekend," head coach Megan Ciolli Bartlett said in a press release. "She came up big in several clutch situations, helping us walk away from a highly competitive tournament with a 4-1 record. She is just grinding away and doing great settling into the leadoff spot."

Dominique hasn't been the only Cardinal to gain MAC West attention this season. Sophomore Kennedy Wynn was named MAC West Player of the Week two weeks ago after hitting three home runs in the FGCU Kickoff Classic. 

The Cardinals will head out to Florida this weekend to open up a 12-game spring break trip. The team will start the two-week span off competing in the Citrus Classic II. 

Contact Jack Williams with comments at jgwilliams@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @JackWilliamsBSU.