Live Beneficence event continues

On Feb. 12, the Ball State Office of Institutional Diversity kicked off its week long Live Beneficence event. Its purpose is to build positive relationships at Ball State and throughout the Muncie community. The event was inspired by Random Acts of Kindness Day, which occurs on Saturday Feb. 17.

“The Office of Institutional Diversity is celebrating Random Acts of Kindness Week by allowing students to sign the beneficence pledge,” said C.S. Hendershot, a graduate assistant with the Office of Institutional Diversity. “By signing, people pledge to maintain high standards of scholarship, practice academic honesty and recognize the intrinsic value of others.” 

Hendershot hosted the Random Acts of Kindness Pledge signing on Monday morning.

The department held pledge signings on Monday, Feb. 12 in the Student Center. It will hold additional pledge signings in the Atrium Concourse on Thursday, Feb. 15 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. One final signing opportunity will be held in the Student Center Talley on Friday, Feb. 16, from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Those who attend one of the pledge signings will get a pocket-sized copy of the pledge and take photos with a winged Beneficence backdrop. 

Muncie resident and pastor Robert Abner believes the Live Beneficent event is a great idea. He signed the beneficence  pledge because the event promotes positive community values. Abner finds it interesting that the Muncie community needs a pledge like this to come together. But he accepts that people aren’t perfect. Abner said that people get too caught up in their own lives that they forget how to properly treat others. 

The Ball State Office of Institutional Diversity asks the Ball State community, “To treat each person in the Ball State community with civility, courtesy, compassion, and dignity; and to respect and learn from differences in people, ideas, and opinions.”

The Office of Institutional Diversity also wants to shine a light on its “I see the Beneficence in You” Initiative. During Live Beneficence events, students can learn about opportunities to recognize beneficence in community members and peers.

Also, the office wants to encourage Muncie community members to take part in its “Better Together-Common Ground” campaign. This is an initiative to connect members of the Muncie community and promote constructive conversation among them. Its first Common Ground event will be held Friday, Feb.16 at 10 a.m. in the Student Center Music Lounge, which is located on the second floor. 

For more information contact the Office of Institutional Diversity.

EARLIER:

During Random Acts of Kindness week, the Ball State Office of Institutional Diversity is encouraging the Ball State community to take the Beneficence Pledge.  

During the week, the office will have booths set up in the Student Center and the Atrium to allow those passing by to sign the pledge.

The pledge asks those in the BSU community to maintain high standards of scholarship and excellence, to practice academic honesty, to act in a socially responsible way, and to value the intrinsic worth of every member of the community.

Ball State Office of Institutional Diversity Secretary Lisa Love says that this week is an opportunity for the Ball State community to highlight the pledge in their daily lives.

"We love the fact that Random Acts of Kindness week came at such an opportune time that we were able to take our Beneficence Pledge Drive and marry the two together," says Love.

The booths will be set up on Tuesday, Feb 13 in the Atrium from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. or on Friday, Feb. 16 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Student Center.

Contact Tanner Holbrook with comments at trholbrook@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Tanner_Holbrook.