Ball State: Peaceful protest will not affect admission

<p><strong>Stephanie Amador, DN File</strong></p>

Stephanie Amador, DN File

Ball State is letting prospective students know that taking part in peaceful gun control protests will not hurt their chances of becoming Cardinals.

The official Ball State Twitter page posted the university's statement Wednesday morning.

The tweet says, "Ball State University has a long history of valuing peaceful and lawful civic participation. It has never been our practice to negatively affect the admission of applicants for exercising their First Amendment rights and actively engaging in civic discourse — and it will not be in the future. Engaging in peaceful protest, and related school disciplinary action, will not affect your admission."

Students at high schools across the country have staged numerous walkouts and protests — part of the #NeverAgain movement — in the days following the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Seventeen people died in the massacre.

Ball State follows more than 100 other colleges and universities that have made the same promise to prospective students. 

Indiana University, Butler University, Purdue University, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, Manchester University, St. Mary's College and Hanover College have already made public statements on the matter.

The National Association for College Admission Counseling is also maintaining a list of schools nation-wide that explicitly outline their practices around how disciplinary actions related to activism will be factored into the admission process. 

The Daily News has reached out to university spokesperson Kathy Wolf for further comment.

This story will be updated.