Logan Paul's suicide video: What it means to Japan

by Emily Reuben The opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of Byte or Byte’s editorial board. In the wake of the new year, Logan Paul has recently had his YouTube Red series put on hold and was removed from Google’s preferred advertisement program as a result of public backlash over a video that featured an apparent suicide victim in Japan. The video has resulted in a massive online controversy over the past two weeks sparking debate over the ethics of showing a suicide victim on camera. Many YouTube creators have joined in the outrage, taking to social media and making their own videos directed at Logan Paul.

Who is Logan Paul?

9.4 million followers Business Insider
has around 4.3 million subscribers over 15 million subscribers public hijinks pranks somewhat dangerous stunts music videos reactions Vine compilations

Aokigahara, "The Sea of Trees"

A wooden sign with Japanese text that stands on the side of a path leading into a forest. Aokigahara Forest Washington Post
Quietly think once more about your parents, siblings, or children. Please don’t suffer alone, and first reach out.
does

Japan and suicide

The Japan Times National Geographic
After a high number of suicides were reported in 2004 (a total of 108), officials stopped publicizing deaths for fear of glorifying the practice. Yamanashi prefecture, where the forest is located, began hiring people in 2009 to patrol the forest and approach anyone who might not look like the average tourist out on a hike.
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services describes suicide contagion
Suicide contagion is the exposure to suicide or suicidal behaviors within one's family, one's peer group, or through media reports of suicide and can result in an increase in suicide and suicidal behaviors. Direct and indirect exposure to suicidal behavior has been shown to precede an increase in suicidal behavior in persons at risk for suicide, especially in adolescents and young adults.
13 Reasons Why

The importance of privacy in Japan

Japan's laws are more rigid

Wanting to travel to Japan? Logan's made it a lot harder on foreigners

Twitter
Sources:  Japan Times Business Insider National Geographic The Washington Post World Health Organization HHS.gov Vine Images: ghanadailies.com , Twitter Aokigahara Forest