No. 15 Ball State Gymnastics places second in Washington D.C.

<p>Special guests watch Ball State gymnasts perform their floor routine during the Red vs. White meet on Dec. 4 in John E. Worthen Arena. The special guests decided which team won the meet. Teri Lightning Jr., DN</p>

Special guests watch Ball State gymnasts perform their floor routine during the Red vs. White meet on Dec. 4 in John E. Worthen Arena. The special guests decided which team won the meet. Teri Lightning Jr., DN

After a strong second-place finish in the season opener last week, No. 15 Ball State had another strong outing in the nation's capital.

Coming in, the Cardinals had knocked off host George Washington last weekend in Kentucky and were looking to do so again on their home floor.

The Cardinals led off on floor where junior Kaitlyn Menzione placed second with a score of 9.825. Moving into Vault, Menzione would again have the highest score in the rotation with a 9.800. 

Freshman Arden Hudson saw a personal record on vault with a 9.775. In the final event on beam, freshman Vicky Garcia added to the theme of personal records scoring a 9.825 which was enough for second place.

Coming off a hot start last weekend in the Kentucky Quad meet, the No.15 Ball State looked to continuing rolling at the Lindsey Ferris Invitational in Washington D.C. The Cardinals had knocked off host George Washington last weekend in Kentucky and were looking to do so again.

While a few Cardinals broke into top five placement, it wasn’t enough to take first as the Cardinals would place second with an overall score of 191.725. Today’s score marked a 2.750-point drop since last weekend and will most like drop the Cardinals out of the top 20 rankings. However, the Cardinals still managed to place higher than a pair of Ivy league schools on the night in Penn and Cornell.  

"This wasn't' the performance we were hoping for," head coach Joanna Saleem said in a press release. "We need to learn that when a teammate falls it shouldn't change the performance of the next athlete."

The Cardinals will travel to North Carolina next weekend where they will take on No. 21 NC State and William & Mary. 

Last season, the Cardinals shocked the Wolfpack as they upset, at the time, the No. 25 team in the country.  Senior Sydney Finke led the Cardinals rally that night scoring a first place tying score on vault of 9.850. 

Contact Jack Williams with comments at jgwilliams@bsu.edu.