How repealing net neutrality will affect you and everything you love

by Daley Wilhelm Here’s another desperate, alarmist article explaining how net neutrality is a deadly serious thing that you need to be paying attention to. Because it really is. Later this week, the anticipated repeal of net neutrality will have immediate and far-reaching repercussions. You should expect big changes in how your everyday use of the Internet will be effected. This is just a taste of a future without net neutrality. https://twitter.com/DavidLetternan/status/939557674504552448 You know when a web page isn’t loading, but the ads are? When an ad plays perfectly fine, but then the video you actually clicked on is a buffering mess? That’s largely what the Internet will look like without net neutrality. As it stands now, Internet Service Providers like Comcast and Verizon have to treat all traffic equally—ads and the content that you really want are allocated the same speed. This means that big sites like Amazon and obscure sites like bytebsu.com are equal under net neutrality. Stranger Things and Vine complications will be using the same amount of internet. Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai seeks to change that. https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/933059877743755265 Specifically, Pai is for repealing net neutrality in order to give big Internet providers more room to make revenue off of internet users. Without net neutrality, Verizon would be free to slow the loading of sites that it considers to be competition and speed up connection to sites that possibly cut expensive deals with the ISP in order to make sure its content is accessible, all while charging users for access to specific sites in package deals similar to cable.

Your wallet

Image from Tech Insider
Portugal’s wireless carrier MEO

Social media (but also Freedom of Speech)

silenced

Streaming

Orange is the New Black

Work (and finding it)

Gaming

Bandwidth caps League of Legends World of Warcraft

Start ups, small businesses, and innovation

ISPs could ask online retailers or other services Yonatan Zunger

The world as we know it

could literally no one th
The Verge PC Gamer Wired Gizmodo