Ways to give back to the community during the holidays

<p>Muncie Boys and Girls Club is one of the few places to volunteer over the holidays. Volunteering at the Boys &amp; Girls Club can consist of helping a student develop their reading skills, coaching a youth basketball game, or a variety of other activities. Samantha Brammer, DN File</p>

Muncie Boys and Girls Club is one of the few places to volunteer over the holidays. Volunteering at the Boys & Girls Club can consist of helping a student develop their reading skills, coaching a youth basketball game, or a variety of other activities. Samantha Brammer, DN File

With the holidays fast approaching, many people are looking for ways to volunteer their time or donate money to those in need. Here are some ways to help give back to the Muncie community this holiday season:

The Village Pantry

Throughout the month of December, Village Pantry will be selling holiday-themed paper pin ups for $1 to help find treatments for neuromuscular diseases such as ALS and muscular dystrophy. Since first teaming up with the Muscular Dystrophy Association in 2011, Village Pantry and its associates have raised almost $1,000,000 to help people was muscle debilitating disease in the Muncie community. 

The YMCA

The YMCA in Muncie serves over 4,000 households in the community and relies heavily on volunteers to operate. Volunteering at one of the four YMCA locations in Muncie can include leading an exercise class, working the front desk or reading to a preschool class. 

The Boys & Girls Club

The Boys & Girls Club in Muncie aims to help young people develop the skills necessary to reach their full potential as productive and responsible citizens. This includes providing academic help, building leadership skills and promoting healthy lifestyles. Volunteering at the Boys & Girls Club can consist of helping a student develop their reading skills, coaching a youth basketball game, or a variety of other activities. 

The Salvation Army 

The Salvation Army’s red kettles and the bell ringers that accompany them are a common sight this time of year. Registering to ring a bell is a way to collect money for the community no matter how much time you have to spare. 

Second Harvest Food Bank

With over 24,000 people in Muncie living in poverty, Second Harvest Food Bank has a variety of programs in place to help curb hunger and food insecurity in Muncie and delivers over two million pounds of food directly to people in need in our community. Second Harvest has an open door volunteer policy and volunteering typically involves preparing produce to be distributed to those in need. 

Contact Matt Keyser with comments at mdkeyser@bsu.edu.