'Pride and Prejudice' to open at University Theatre

The theatre and dance department will be performing Pride and Prejudice Nov. 3-5, 7-10 in University Theatre. The adaptation tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet trying to find a husband. Ball State University, Photo Courtesy

"Pride and Prejudice" show dates:

• 7:30 p.m. Nov. 3-4 and 7-10
  • 2:30 p.m. Nov. 5
  • 8 p.m. Nov. 11

Since early September, the Department of Theatre and Dance has been rehearsing for its theatrical adaption of the novel "Pride and Prejudice," and at 7:30 p.m. Friday, the play will open in University Theatre. 

When Beth Turcotte, George and Francis Ball Distinguished Professor of Theatre, was invited to direct the play she knew she wanted the performance to do the novel justice.

"I loved the book and so it's a little daunting to think that you're bringing this beloved story to life to people who also love the book," Turcotte said. "You hope you fulfill their ideas of it."

In order to deliver such a performance, casting began last spring, and students read the novel and did additional research over the summer. Students also worked with a voice coach and a choreographer to make the  performance authentic.

The play is set in Britain in the 1880s, so the actors had to learn how to move and speak accordingly. 

"As the movement coach, my job is to make them physically look like they live in that time period," said Emily Tzucker, instructor of theatre. "It's a really good opportunity to teach these things they don't know and for them to get to learn how to live in different worlds and the history and culture that goes along with how your body and voice sound."  

Through being receptive to the direction that was given in rehearsals, Turcotte said the cast "earned the right to tell the story," and wanted them to have enough room to be creative while staying true to the characters and time period.   

Tzucker and Turcotte said the audience will be able to enjoy the characters because of how they were written and how they are portrayed.

"It has fantastic characters even though it was in a period that wasn't about the equality of women," Tzucker said. "It still has great, wonderful female characters."  

Turcotte said both those who love the novel and those who have never read it will be "enchanted by the production." She said she's looking forward to watching the performance with the rest of the audience.

"I love seeing my students perform," Turcotte said. "I love seeing where they are at the beginning to where it ends up in terms of how they fill out the story more, and I love to see how the audience responds because every night is a little bit different."

Contact Nicole Thomas with comments at nrthomas@bsu.edu.