Seniors showcase their experiences through dance

<p>Dance major Bekka Ferguson poses for photos. The Department of Theater and Dance's Senior Dance Showcase is Oct. 27 and 28 in Ball Gym. Kaiti Sullivan, DN</p>

Dance major Bekka Ferguson poses for photos. The Department of Theater and Dance's Senior Dance Showcase is Oct. 27 and 28 in Ball Gym. Kaiti Sullivan, DN

Performances of the Senior Dance Showcase will take place at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 27 and 28 and at 2 p.m. Oct. 29 in Ball Gym KDS 213. 

Six seniors will be performing to communicate their relationship with dance in the Senior Dance Showcase this weekend. 

Madison Barker, dancer and publicity manager for the show, said the performance, titled "Parallel 6," is centered around how the group of seniors are together in their adventure, but also have separate experiences. 

“Being involved in this showcase is kind of like a synopsis of my time here in the dance program,” said Alyssa Thomas, senior double major in dance and psychology. 

To represent the group's experiences, the seniors will dance separately and as a group. In the separate performances, the students have choreographed a dance that expresses their unique personalities.

Devin Hill, senior BFA dance major, took the opportunity to choreograph a hip hop dance, which is not often performed in the department.

“My dance is about the strength of an army and combining Africanisms seen in hip hop and modern dance,” Hill said.

Senior Jaddyn Olvias, however, decided to make her performance unique by utilizing a variety of music, including a reading a dramatic French poem. 

"My piece focuses on the relationship that any given person has with themselves — the three main ideas being: how someone sees themself, how others see them and how they wish to be seen," Olivas said. 

While senior Josie Meiss will not be performing separately from the group, as she is producing her own show entitled “21st Century Nutcracker,” she is looking forward to dancing in the group performance of the showcase.

"As a group of six, we are one of the smallest classes to move through Ball State's dance program," Meiss said. "We have been through a lot together and have stood by each other through it all, so having an opportunity to perform together means a lot, as our days together are numbered."

While each dance is different and can have different interpretations, the seniors want the audience to understand through their performance what dance means to them both individually and as a group.

"To me, dance is a way of communicating," Olivas said. "I find that sometimes words are not enough to relate my feelings or convey a message. Dance allows me to fully express myself and my thoughts outside the confines of language."

Contact Justice Amick with comments at jramick@bsu.edu.