Second annual Muncie Local Food Summit held at Alumni Center

The Muncie Local Food Summit was held on Oct. 25 at the Ball State Alumni. Farmers, local business partners,  local governments and educators were in attendance. Photo Provided.
The Muncie Local Food Summit was held on Oct. 25 at the Ball State Alumni. Farmers, local business partners, local governments and educators were in attendance. Photo Provided.

On Wednesday Oct. 25 the Muncie Local Food Summit returned to the Ball State Alumni Center.

Elaine Vidal, coordinator for Muncie Food Hub Partnership, helped setup the second annual summit that takes place towards the end of October. 

"The summit is held at the end of the growing/harvest season because this is the time when farmers will have a lot of produce left,” Vidal said. “Farmers are still very busy but the season is winding down so there is less pressure on them in the end of October.”

According to Vidal more than 100 people signed up for the summit including  farmers, educators, local government officials and local business partners interested in food security.

Edible Muncie, the Muncie Food Hub Partnership, Purdue University Extension and Ball State University’s Office of Community Engagement are local groups that decided this year’s breakout sessions at the summit.

There are four breakout sessions that participants were able to attend: Developing Our Local Food Council, Urban Garden Coalition, Solutions for Food Security and Becoming a Vendor to Muncie Food Hub Partnership.

Those who signed up had the option of paying for the half day, $20, or the full day option, which includes lunch for $30. The event went from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ball State catered meals that were provided throughout the day and all of the food was produced locally.