Ikea to open in Fishers next week

The first Ikea in Indiana will open in Fishers on Oct. 11 at 9am. This store is one of three Ikeas in the nation with only one story instead of three stories. 

What: Ikea Grand Opening

When: 9 a.m., Oct. 11

Where: 11400 Ikea Way, Fishers, IN, 46037

The first Ikea in Indiana and the closest Swedish superstore to campus will open next week.

At 9 a.m. on Wednesday, the new Ikea located at 11400 Ikea Way in Fishers, Indiana, will open its doors.

However, instead of a ribbon cutting, the mayor of Fishers, Scott Fadness, Ikea U.S. president Lars Petersson and store manager Holly Davidson will hold a traditional Scandinavian log-sawing.

Davidson, a Hoosier herself, lives about 17 miles east of the store and knows the Fishers area well.

“We plan to be an active part of the local community,” Davidson said. “It’s all been very positive.”

Davidson said moving from anticipation after the store's announcement nearly a year ago to construction has been smooth.

“The buildup went relatively fast and now we’re just moving to get everything in line,” Davidson said.

The 74-year-old company will add a few modern touches unique to its newest location.

For one, this Ikea is one of three in the nation to have only one story, different from the two- and three-story stores seen elsewhere in the U.S. The 35 acres it occupies east of Interstate 69 made this single-floor layout possible.

Customers walking through the store still follow a “natural path,” according to Ikea employees, but will not be guided by yellow lines on the floor. Instead, overhead lights project white arrows that highlight which way to go.

A pet section is unique to the Fishers location, too, but will be coming to other stores soon.

Prospective Swedish furniture enthusiasts can line up at the store as early as 48 hours in advance of the Grand Opening. Door prizes include a free couch for the first 45 in line and an armchair for the next 100.

Contact Sara Barker with comments at slbarker3@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @sarabarker326.