DWNTWN Muncie hosts ArtsWalk

Senior Arielle Day demonstrates throwing on the potter's wheel during ArtsWalk in downtown Muncie. Maggie Kenworthy, DN File

ArtsWalk in DWNTWN Muncie returns this Thursday for an evening of local art, food and live music.

ArtsWalk 2017 serves as a showcase for the Muncie community arts scene. Attendees will be treated to musical and physical art throughout the streets of downtown Muncie. Most events are free and open to the public, and the Muncie Downtown Development Partnership invites Ball State students to immerse themselves in the local arts.

DWNTWN Muncie will also be launching the Traveler App this Thursday, which will help those unfamiliar with the streets of downtown Muncie navigate the event. Available on both the Apple Store and Google Play, the app will show the locations of all the art shows, music and soup crawl destinations.

With over 50 local businesses participating, here are just some of what ArtsWalk 2017 has to offer:

YART

ArtsWalk 2017 coincides with YART. YART is described as a Yard Sale for Art, which will be held at Canan Commons. YART aims to make art accessible and affordable to the community and features art by over 100 local artists, all priced under $40. 

Soup Crawl

Prime Trust is hosting a soup crawl to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank. The crawl will take place at a variety of different locally owned restaurants including Vera Mae’s Bistro, Thr3e Wise Men, Twin Archer Brewpub and many more. Tickets for the soup crawl are available for $20 at all Prime Trust branches and Second Harvest Food Bank.

Virtual Reality Projects

Ball State's IDIA Lab will be at 223 S. Walnut St. to showcase recent virtual reality projects including a simulation of the 1915 World’s Fair in San Francisco. IDIA Lab staff will be available to answer any questions about the emerging technology.

“My Fair Lady” Preview

Muncie Civic Theatre will perform a preview performance of “My Fair Lady” at 6 p.m. at Canan Commons. The entire performance will be on Oct. 13, 14, 20-22 and 26-28 at Northside Middle School.

Tattoo Brewing Collaboration

Elm Street Brewing has teamed up with the tattoo and piercing studio Black Sword Alliance for an evening of art, beer and music for a 21 and over crowd. Art on display will cover various styles and mediums from lowbrow DIY to painterly realism. Elm Street Brewing will also be releasing a new beer named Black Sword to commemorate the event.

The Atrium Gallery

The Atrium Gallery in the Art and Journalism Building will feature a selection of artwork from Landfall Press. The exhibition will run until the end of October and the gallery will have extended hours during ArtsWalk from 4-8 p.m.

Contact Matthew Keyser with comments at mdkeyser@bsu.edu.