Documentary created by BSU students selected for film festival

<p>The Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay came through Delaware County on Sept. 27, 2016. The film, “Everlasting Light: The Story of Indiana’s Bicentennial Torch Relay, produced by Ball State’s department of telecommunications was selected for screening at the Heartland Film Festival. Grace Ramey, DN File</p>

The Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay came through Delaware County on Sept. 27, 2016. The film, “Everlasting Light: The Story of Indiana’s Bicentennial Torch Relay, produced by Ball State’s department of telecommunications was selected for screening at the Heartland Film Festival. Grace Ramey, DN File

A documentary produced by Ball State’s department of telecommunications was selected for screening at the Heartland Film Festival.

The film, “Everlasting Light: The Story of Indiana’s Bicentennial Torch Relay,” was commissioned by the Indiana Office of Tourism Development.

The documentary highlights the torch relay, one of the many events put on by the state to celebrate Indiana’s 200 years of statehood in 2016.

Over 2,000 people carried a lit torch through Indiana’s 92 counties covering over 3,200 miles. The relay began in Corydon and ended at the statehouse ground in Indianapolis from Sept. 9 to Oct. 15. The torch made its way through Delaware County Sept. 27, 2016.

Chris Flook, telecommunications lecturer, was the faculty adviser and one of the editors of the film.

Flook said over email that the project was unique and that the students did a great job at capturing the uniqueness. Flook says that the film is, “A recap of what happened, how the project evolved and the process to carry it out.”

“They did an excellent job in putting everything together and they understood the significance of what they were doing,” Flook said.

Ball State alumna Samantha Hunter directed the film. She graduated in 2017 with a degree in telecommunications video production and currently lives and works in Los Angeles.

Hunter directed short commercials and videos at the university and said that she immediately took the opportunity to direct the film when Flook mentioned it in class.

Hunter said that because she had never directed a film of that magnitude before the experience was unforgettable and that the opportunity was once in a lifetime. 

Despite a few challenges and problems, she said that it was incredible how smoothly the project went considering its size.

“It was a really nice way to kind of like give back to the state that raised me before I went on and started my professional career,” Hunter said.

She stressed  the importance of everyone who worked to help make the film a reality.

“The documentary isn’t just mine, it’s everyone’s who worked on it,” Hunter said.

The Heartland Film Festival takes place every year in Indianapolis. This year marks the 26th running, which will show  213 films from 104 countries Oct. 12-22. 

According to the festival schedule, the film will be shown along with other Indiana short films on Oct. 17, 19 and 20. Tickets can be purchased here

Contact Andrew Harp with comments at adharp@bsu.edu