Valve fights back against the Internet hate machine with graphs

by Tanner Kinney The internet is one of the most valuable, yet dangerous tools. It goes without saying that the internet can truly be magical sometimes. Where else can a person find detailed facts and backstories for random background characters in Star Wars? Or, I don’t know, a mod for Super Mario 64 where your head is a fidget spinner.  The good stuff we all love. The internet also has the ability to be completely twisted and vengeful. When you piss off the internet, it’s not just like knocking down a hornet’s nest. It’s like knocking down a hornet’s nest that was secretly a giant mecha being piloted by hornets, and they’ve got their sights on you. This is especially true when dealing with particularly rabid sub-subcultures of the internet. For example, just look at PewDiePie fans. [caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="1366"] Image from Kotaku Australia[/caption] After a recent controversy involving PewDiePie saying the one racial slur you really shouldn’t say under any circumstance ever, Campo Santo, developer of Firewatch, issued a DMCA claim against the Youtuber’s videos of their game. In response, Pewds’s fans attacked Campo Santo on Twitter and in a place where they could really make an impact, on the reviews for their game Firewatch. https://twitter.com/vanaman/status/906983575337107456 Negative reviews rained down on Firewatch, taking a game that was sitting at “very positive” since launch to a “mixed” within recent reviews. Many reviews mention this incident being their main reason for giving a thumbs down, which adds to the suspicion. There’s also been a few cases of users buying the game, reviewing it at 0.0 hours, then refunding it. The internet hate machine unleashed fire and fury on Campo Santo and with the way Steam reviews were set up there was no way to fight it.

The internet troll’s ultimate weapon

post on their community blog Firewatch
Image from Steam
horrible purchasing decision

Dr. Valvelove or: how I learned to stop worrying and love the review bomb

ARK: Survival Evolved
We Happy Few lying greedy just ask Beyonce
Image from Steam's We Happy Few review page

YouTube Steam's Community Blog CinemaBlend Polygon PC Gamer Buzzfeed Steam Kotaku Australia