College of Health Professions Building groundbreaking on Thursday

The College of Health Professions Building groundbreaking ceremony will be at 4 p.m. on Thursday. 

The 167,000-square-foot building will set on the new East Quad and according to the 2015 Campus Master Plan, “The East Quad will provide a new eastern gateway to the campus and establish a stronger presence along Riverside Avenue.”

The $62.5 million project is slated to complete in 2019 and will primarily house academic programs in the College of Health. 

The building will feature stimulation suites, exam rooms and an athletic training lab. Additionally, there will be clinics for psychological assessments, speech and audiology, nutrition, social work and wellness. 

The new structure will have green roof areas and is designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification. 

“The new building will help us fill the need for more professionals in health care fields. And it will allow us to do so in an innovative way,” university President Geoffrey Mearns said in an email. “We will consolidate most programs in the College of Health to teach our students to work in teams that collaborate across professions. We anticipate this approach will result in better patient outcomes.”