Bonnamu raises over $3700 for Riley and Special Olympics

Rapper LJ III encourages his audience to chant some of his lyrics during Bonnamu on Sept. 15 at LaFollette Field. The winner of the battle wond a free recording session. Rachel Ellis, DN

This year’s Bonnamu raised over $3,700 for Riley Children’s Hospital and the Special Olympics. 

“This year had a lot better turn out than the last one,” said Agustina Salusso, the Philanthropy co-chair for Phi Mu. “The last Bonnamu was 90 percent sisters, maybe 10 or 12 people who weren’t.”

Salusso estimates around 200 people attended. This is the third Bonnamu hosted at Ball State and the first to include Phi Sigma Kappa. 

There were nine bands who competed to win a professional recording session. Three judges, Brandon Faehr, Rachel Vanmatre and Anna Trotter, determined the winner. 

Faehr, Vanmatre and Trotter judged the bands on their quality, sound, performance, skill, personality, crowd enjoyment and their excitement. 

Sunday Afternoon, made up of DiMari Fennel, Nick Saathoff and Austin Willis, won. 

Fennell, a sophomore marketing major, said that the band didn’t get much practice. 

“We practiced from 5:00 to 5:20 and then drove here [LaFollette Field],” Fennell said. “We literally didn’t practice."

The band getting their act together as they walked on to the stage.

“We were still figuring out what we were going to do as we walked on stage,” Saathoff said. 

This was Sunday Afternoon’s first performance out of state.

“This is huge for us,” Willis said. “We only did basement recordings. To go into a studio is everything.”