'Modern Family' star Jesse Tyler Ferguson to visit Ball State

<p>Jesse Tyler Ferguson will visit Ball State's campus Dec. 1-3. Photo provided</p>

Jesse Tyler Ferguson will visit Ball State's campus Dec. 1-3. Photo provided

The talkback, which will begin at 7:30 p.m., is open to all and no tickets are required.

"Modern Family" star Jesse Tyler Ferguson will visit Ball State as a guest artist from Dec. 1-3. 

During his visit, Ferguson will give an informal talkback with a university audience while also taking time to work closely with students from the university’s Department of Theatre and Dance, according to a university press release. 

“We continue to feel so honored to have active professionals like Jesse Tyler Ferguson show an interest in the theater program we’ve built and continue to develop at Ball State,” Bill Jenkins, chair of the Department of Theatre and Dance, said in the release. “We’re particularly excited for him to meet with the students in our acting program. I know that he will be impressed with their talent, dedication, and commitment to making the world a better place through their artistry.”  

Ferguson's visit is made possible by a "significant donation" provided to the university by an anonymous donor, the press release noted. Jenkins said the donor requested that the money be used to create an opportunity for Ball State's acting students to work with a high-profile artist, similar to previous student work with Broadway star Sutton Foster.

The five-time Emmy-nominated actor portrays the character of Mitchell Pritchett, an openly gay lawyer, on the ABC sitcom. Ferguson and his husband, lawyer Justin Mikita, also founded Tie the Knot, a non-profit advocacy organization that sells limited-edition bow ties which provides proceeds to various LGBTQ organizations.