Indiana Academy ranked best high school in Indiana, 17th in US

The Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and Humanities was ranked No. 17 in the nation by Niche. The high school is located on Ball State's campus, as well as the Academy House.  RJ Ricker//DN File

A high school located on Ball State's campus was recently ranked No. 1 as the best public high school in Indiana.

The Indiana Academy for Science, Math & Humanities, a two-year, public, residential high school, for gifted and talented juniors and seniors, was ranked best out of 376 public schools in the state by niche.com, a research gathering site dedicated to giving information on K-12 schools, neighborhoods and universities.

This is not first year that The Academy, a unit of Ball State’s Teachers College, was recognized as one of the bests. The school received the same ranking as the best high school in Indiana in 2015 and 2016. 

Niche's ranking is based on analysis of key statistics and millions of reviews from students and parents using data from the U.S. Department of Education, according to the website. Factors include academic grades, including state assessments and ACT/SAT scores.

Niche's other rankings of The Indiana Academy for Science, Math & Humanities:

• 17th best public high school in America
  • Best public high school teachers in Indiana
  • 2nd best college prep public high school in Indiana
  • 2nd best high school for STEM in Indiana
  • 3rd most diverse public high school in Delaware County 

The academy also was ranked in a report by Indiana Commission for Higher Education as one of Indiana’s top high schools with 100 percent of its graduates ready for college.