‘Dr. Who’: the next doctor will be played by Jodie Whittaker

by Jeremy Rogers After Peter Capaldi, who currently plays the 12th Doctor on the long running British sci-fi series Dr. Who, announced that he would be leaving the show this past January, speculation has swirled about who would replace him. The answer has finally come after the 2017 Wimbleton men singles final.

Taking the helm as the 13th Doctor will be Broadchurch star Jodie Whittaker. In her roll on Broadchurch, Whittaker performed alongside David Tennant, the 10th Doctor. Celebrating being chosen as the show’s first ever female Time Lord, Whittaker has gone on the record stating, "It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you're told you can and can't be." Some fans are none too pleased about the Doctor becoming a woman, taking to social media to voice their displeasure: Jodie Whittaker came equipped with a statement to assuage the fears of any who are worried by the changing gender of the doctor. "Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change… The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one." Fans of the series can look forward to seeing Whittaker take over in the 2017 Dr. Who Christmas Special.
Source: BBC Images: Facebook, Hello!