INDOT pulls back road closures in lieu of Independence Day weekend

Learn more:

Know about road conditions, traffic, crashes and construction by visiting INDOT's website or calling 1-800-261-ROAD.

You can also subscribe for notifications via text or email through INDOT here.

The Indiana Department of Transportation warns drivers of the high traffic numbers expected over Independence Day weekend.

According to an Independence Day travel forecast done by AAA, there is expected to be over 44.2 million American's traveling this weekend, the most on record.

In preparation for the high travel numbers, INDOT announced a road work moratorium, or a temporary halt on roadwork, beginning Friday afternoon on June 30 and continuing until the morning of Wednesday, July 5.

According to the release, INDOT says "wherever possible, road restriction will be removed to ease traffic flow." This will include pulling back barriers and barricades to accommodate travelers. Most projects will be pulled back expect for larger construction projects.

How will this affect Central Indiana?

According to INDOT, bridge construction where I-65 and I-465 meet on the south side of Indianapolis require lane shifts and ramp closures, including:

• The I-65 south ramp to I-465 east is closed for bridge construction. A signed detour directs traffic to continue to Southport Road (Exit 103) and return northbound to access I-465 east.
  • The I-465 east loop ramp to I-65 north is closed for bridge construction. A signed detour directs traffic on I-65 south to Southport Road (Exit 103) and return northbound on I-65.
  • I-65 south is reduced to two lanes across I-465.
  • I-70 lanes are shifted for construction at four bridge projects between State Road 9 near Greenfield and the Ohio state line at miles 104, 112, 137 and 154.
  • I-69 lanes are shifted for construction between State Road 37 (Exit 205) in Fishers and State Road 38 (Exit 219) near Pendleton.
  • I-69 lanes are shifted for bridge construction at State Road 332 (McGalliard Road) near Muncie.
  • I-70 near Terre Haute is reduced to one lane in each direction for maintenance on two bridges between U.S. 41/150 (Exit 7) and U.S. 40/State Road 46 (Exit 11).
  • I-65 lanes near Lafayette are shifted for widening construction between State Road 26 (Exit 172) and State Road 38 (Exit 168).