Spring Commencement moves to Worthen Arena

<p>The 2017 Spring Commencement was moved from its usual location in the Quad to Worthen Arena due to recent weather. DN FILE</p>

The 2017 Spring Commencement was moved from its usual location in the Quad to Worthen Arena due to recent weather. DN FILE

Updated college commencement times/locations

College of Architecture and Planning – 12:30 p.m., Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center

College of Communication, Information, and Media – 12:30 p.m., Field Sports Building

College of Fine Arts – 12:30 p.m., Emens Auditorium

College of Health – 12:30 p.m., Worthen Arena

College of Applied Sciences and Technology – 3:30 p.m., Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center

Miller College of Business – 3:30 p.m., Emens Auditorium

College of Sciences and Humanities – 3:30 p.m., Worthen Arena

Teachers College – 3:30 p.m., Field Sports Building

Due to the recent weather, Spring Commencement is moving from its usual location in the Quad to Worthen Arena.

"In the best interest of our graduates and their families, we are moving Saturday's commencement ceremony to Worthen Arena," Interim President Terry King said in an email sent out to members of the Ball State community. "Due to recent weather, the normal outdoor location at the Quad in front of the Arts Terrace is saturated and likely won't support chairs and foot traffic."

In the email, King said that commencement will begin at the previously scheduled time of 10 a.m. He further explained the decision to announce the new location early in the week "so graduates and their families can plan ahead."

Due to the change in commencement location, start times of college commencements have also been updated. Graduates of the Teachers College, for example, will have a new time and location of their commencement – 3:30 p.m. in the Field Sports Building.

There are still no tickets needed for the event, but King said that space is limited within the 11,500 seat arena. He suggests families and graduates arrive by 9 a.m. on Saturday. 

But if Worthen does fill, there is another plan.

"If Worthen is filled to capacity, attendees will be escorted to the Field Sports Building which is adjacent to Worthern Arena, to watch the live stream," King said.

For those unable to attend, the livestream of commencement will be streamed on Facebook and on at bsu.edu