IFC White Ribbon campaign pledges to end violence against women

<p>The Interfraternity Council is asking&nbsp;Ball State students to take a pledge to end this issue of violence against women. The White Ribbon campaign, the largest&nbsp;ran by men to end violence against women,&nbsp;is more targeted toward men, encouraging them to hold themselves at a higher standard to "be the best versions of themselves."&nbsp;<em style="font-size: 14px;">White Ribbon Campaign // Photo Courtesy</em></p>

The Interfraternity Council is asking Ball State students to take a pledge to end this issue of violence against women. The White Ribbon campaign, the largest ran by men to end violence against women, is more targeted toward men, encouraging them to hold themselves at a higher standard to "be the best versions of themselves." White Ribbon Campaign // Photo Courtesy

Upcoming White Ribbon pledge campaigns:

Noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday in David Letterman Communication and Media Building

Noon to 2 p.m. Monday in David Letterman Communication and Media Building

Noon to 2 p.m. April 28 at the Scramble Light

Self Defense Training:

6 to 9 p.m. Monday in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Hall A

The Interfraternity Council is working on how to address violence against women by asking Ball State students to take a pledge to end this issue. Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women aged 15 to 44, according to HOPE for Domestic Violence.

"We saw sexual assault, sexual harassment and just violence against women as one of the issues that's facing a lot of college campuses and not just ours in particular," IFC President Trevor Holland said. "We wanted to do something to make a change."

Holland said the White Ribbon campaign is more targeted toward men, encouraging them to hold themselves at a higher standard to "be the best versions of themselves." 

The campaign is the largest ran by men to end violence against women, with campaigns being hosted in over 61 countries. 

"We just want to spread awareness for the message," Holland said. "We want women to feel comfortable on our campus and just in general. We're hoping to spread some light on what's going on."

While the event focuses on gaining the attention of men, IFC hopes to see pledges from everyone. The organization ordered 500 buttons and cards to get the word out. 

Ryan Vivirito, a sophomore criminal justice and criminology major, took the pledge for support.

"I took the pledge for all of Greek life," Vivirito said. "I know that we're typically an at-risk community and [I] just to step in and help everyone there."

Micah Germann, vice president of administrations for IFC, said he has always had a passion for spreading the message about domestic violence against women.

"I have three sisters and a niece so I can't imagine what I would do if I ever found out they were abused in any way, whether it be from a significant other or their parents," Germann said. "I'm fortunate enough to have never experienced it, but I know that's not the case for most people considering the facts that we have."

A woman is beaten every nine seconds, according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Because of this, IFC strives to inform as many people as they can about protecting women.

"It all starts with exposure," Germann said. "As long as people know about it, and realize that it is a problem, then they can consciously start to enact in on themselves on how to stop that."

IFC plans to host multiple events in the future to continue spreading this message and teaching students about what assault is and how to combat it.