HOSA to host annual 5K Glow Run

<p>Ball State HOSA is holding their third annual 5k Glow Run on April 19 to raise money for the National Alliance on Mental Illness.&nbsp;Pre-registration prices are $25 for a single participant, $88 for a group of four, and $160 for a group of eight. Participants signing up on the day of will have to pay $35. Glow Run Facebook// Photo Courtesy</p>

Ball State HOSA is holding their third annual 5k Glow Run on April 19 to raise money for the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Pre-registration prices are $25 for a single participant, $88 for a group of four, and $160 for a group of eight. Participants signing up on the day of will have to pay $35. Glow Run Facebook// Photo Courtesy

Ball State's Health Occupation Students of America are holding their third annual 5K Glow Run on Wednesday to raise money for the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

“As you probably know, 5Ks on campus in April are really popular for organizations to do,” said Hayli Smith, the HOSA Glow Run chair. “In order to stand out, we do our run at night and let our participants wear neon clothes, glow sticks and anything that lights up in order to make it unique.”

The run will kick off from the Outdoor Pursuits lobby, where students can decorate T-shirts with neon colors and pick up glow sticks before taking off on a 3.1-mile run.

While the run does take off at night, Smith said all the participants will be safe.

“Safety is probably the biggest concern we have with the 5K being at night,” she said. “In order to be safe, we have the route lit up with lanterns and plenty of volunteers who have flashing wands to direct our runners. The course is on well-lit sidewalks on campus, and only contains one street crossing where UPD graciously helps us out in directing traffic. “

Participants will receive awards for fastest finish in each age group and best dressed. Smith said it is also a great way to give back to charity and spend time with your friends.

“The best part of the run for me is seeing friends getting together to give back and have a great time doing it,” she said. 

Pre-registration prices are $25 for a single participant, $88 for a group of four and $160 for a group of eight. Participants signing up on the day of will have to pay $35.

The run will kick off at 8:30 p.m. Those wishing to participate can pre-register here.