'Take care of the cat, and the cat will take care of you.'

As spring graduation approaches, many seniors in both the journalism and art programs at Ball State will be job-bound. Creativity can only go so far for people, as the reality eventually sets in that bills need to be paid. Jim Davis, Ball State alumnus and creator of Garfield, visited his alma mater last Wednesday for a presentation that was open to the public in Sursa Hall. 

Davis addressed his career path and life story to potential future artists, in hopes that soon-to-be graduating students might soak up some knowledge when looking for ways to make money using their creative talents.

“Take care of the cat, and the cat will take care of you,” Davis said.

Garfield has not always been a household name. Davis reiterated to prospective cartoonists and artists that he took many risks and experimented with business plans to put Garfield on the map.

After getting his Garfield cartoon strip syndicated in newspapers across the country, it starting gaining popularity. The next phase of the cartoon cat’s life was soon to emerge into book format.

Davis said in the beginning, the printed book of Garfield was the “laughing stock of the industry.” The Garfield books were different because they were made horizontally and didn’t fit any other book format. The books were also $3 more expensive than the average comic book.

“The publishers would say this is going to go absolutely nowhere,” Davis said.

The publishers ended up eating their words. Garfield appeared on the New York Times bestseller list for nearly two years.

While these successes were great, Davis told the audience about his decision to be faithful and keep the vision for his creation without selling out. He didn’t want to lose sight of what he envisioned Garfield to be from the beginning. As his cartoon gained notoriety, Davis was offered $50,000 from a kitty litter company to use Garfield as a “spokesperson” for the company. At the time Davis said he was only making $8,000 a year.

“I didn’t want him to be known as the kitty litter cat. I wanted him to be known as the funny cartoon cat,” Davis said.

Years later, when Garfield suction cup toys swept the nation, they accounted for nearly 30 percent of all the profit sales of the company. However, Davis scaled back the the production and discontinued the product all together for a while. Once again, Davis said he didn’t want the Garfield brand to become all about a plush doll. He wanted to remain faithful to his creation.

Even when Garfield hit the television screen through CBS, Davis was particular about the creative control he would have.

“We agreed to do a series with CBS if we didn’t have to have any socially redeeming value in the shows. If we didn’t have to have it go through censors,” Davis said.

Ball State student Kenton Little, who majors in Telecommunications Video Production, was impacted by the Davis’ words as he approaches graduation shortly in May.

“I was encouraged to take something I’m good at and find an area in which my skills could benefit others that hasn’t been done yet. I was inspired to always try new things and be innovative in everything I do,” Little said.

A third Garfield movie is set to produced around 2021 according to Davis. The cartoonist will also have creative control in the film to ensure the “fat cat” remains the creation he was intended to be.