RECAP: Day 3 MAC swimming and diving championships

Senior Bradley Ridge checks the scoreboard after swimming butterfly during the senior meet against Notre Dame on Feb. 4 in Lewellen Pool. The men's swim and dive team lost 82.5-148.5. Grace Ramey // DN

MAC swimming and diving championships standings

1. Missouri State - 503 points 

2. University of Buffalo - 427.5 points

3. Eastern Michigan - 416 points

4. Miami (Ohio) - 379.5 points

5. Southern Illinois - 305 points

6. University of Evansville - 111 points

7. Ball State - 109 points

Ball State men's swim and dive finish day three of the Mid-American Conference Championships.  

In the 100-yard butterfly, senior Tanner Barton finished in 15th place. Barton swam a time of 50.30. Head swim coach Bob Thomas said Barton's butterfly was excellent.

"His time in the morning was his best," Thomas said. "His time was very similar to this morning's. He was trying to break 50 seconds but came up a little short." 

In the 100-yard breaststroke, sophomore Cullen Tyler swam a time of 56.46 seconds. Tyler finished in 12th place. Thomas said Tyler swam a similar race in prelims.

"He only went a hundredth of a second slower," Thomas said, "but was able to place higher than his seed."

In the 400-yard medley relay, the Cardinals placed sixth with a season-best time of 3:24.38.  Leading off the relay was freshman Chase Jackson. Jackson was followed by Tyler, senior Bradley Ridge and senior Austin Green.

On three-meter diving, sophomore Gabe Dean finished with a prelim score of 198.00 points.  Dean did not finish in the top 16 to advance to finals. Head diving coach Nick Gayes said Gabe was more consistent on the boards.

"He didn't really miss any dives nor hit any," Gayes said.  "He's got his first MAC meet under his belt now and knows what to expect for next year."

Day four of the MAC swimming and diving championships begin at 7 p.m Saturday in Carbondale, Illinois.