Village Promenade experiences flooding

<p>Reports of severe flooding at Village Promenade have been reported by students living at the&nbsp;apartment complex. The reports say water started leaking through the ceiling on the third&nbsp;floor of the four-story complex around&nbsp;6:30 p.m. <em>Samantha Brammer // DN File</em></p>

Reports of severe flooding at Village Promenade have been reported by students living at the apartment complex. The reports say water started leaking through the ceiling on the third floor of the four-story complex around 6:30 p.m. Samantha Brammer // DN File

Students living at the Village Promenade apartment complex reported severe levels of flooding on Tuesday evening after water started leaking through the ceiling on the third floor of the four-story complex.

Brian Boehm, a sophomore sports administration major, lives on the second floor of the complex and reported that he started seeing water rush down from the ceiling around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

“It was all of a sudden, there was nothing going on," Boehm said. "And all of sudden, we heard all the sprinklers going off and there was water from every hole in the ceiling and through our vents. It was coming through the actual fire alarm itself. It was leaking anywhere there was a hole.”

Morgan Harrison, a senior general studies major, worried that the building could be on fire at first, because water was coming out from the sprinklers on her floor.

“It started about an hour ago," Harrison said. "I could hear something [at first], but I didn’t know and so I got up and checked the fire alarm, and when I looked out of my room, I could see that the fire sprinklers were leaking really bad and it was pouring water out of them, so I assumed that there was a fire and I grabbed my stuff and left.”

Residents affected by the flooding were able to stay at the Courtyard Marriott in downtown Muncie on Tuesday night, as both Boehm and Harrison did.

“I ended up back at the Courtyard Marriott [last night]," Boehm said. The fire department knocked on the door and told us that we needed to be out of the room because it was a safety hazard because of the electricity.”

Harrison and Boehm said that Village Promenade management asked the residents to get in contact with their renters' insurance if the flooding had damaged or destroyed any personal property.

“They told people to contact their renters’ insurance," Harrison said. "I think that’s the only way you’re going to get something back.”

Ashley Coats, the Village Promenade general manager, said she was "not allowed to disclose, confirm or deny any information" about the property flooding.