RECAP: Ball State track and field Tune-Up meet

The Ball State track and field hosts the only home indoor meet of the season in the Field Sports Buidling on Feb. 17. The Ball State Tune-Up included teams from Fort Wayne, Western Michigan, and Wright State. Kyle Crawford // DN

Ball State track and field’s only home indoor meet of the season, the Ball State Tune-Up, is one last meet before the big race next Friday at the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championship.

On Friday, the Cardinals went up against Western Michigan University, Wright State University and Fort Wayne. The Cardinals won three events and notched a 2-1 dual record defeating Wright State (80-66) and Fort Wayne (83-72). The Cardinals fell to Western Michigan (111-59)

Sophomore Regan Lewis cleared a 1.73-meter high jump on her first attempt, but could not surpass the school record of 1.78 meters in her three attempts allowed.

Sophomore Jazmin Smith finished first overall in the 60 meter hurdles overall. She ran it in 8.64 seconds to beat her teammates Anna-Kay West (8.87) and Kassidy Swenson (9.04). Her best college time is 8.53 seconds.

Even after finishing first, Smith said she knows she can do better.

“I think my confidence will carry over to the MAC Championship, but I know I will do a lot better,” Smith said. “I was upset, so hopefully I can take it to next week for my redemption to come back and run faster.”

In the 3,000-meter race, it was a top-five Cardinal finish. In first place, freshman Maritza Rodriguez finished with a time of 10:37.17. Behind her was junior Jessica Bryzek with a time of 10:39.81. In third place, freshman Stephanie McElhaney had a time of 10:42.83, followed by senior Ericka Rinehart with a time of 11:02.17. To wrap up the top five, senior Emma Manches had a time of 11:32.43.

Although freshman Bryeana Byrdsong came in second place to Western Michigan’s Sarita Dotson, Byrdsong scored a solid 25.05 seconds on the 200-meter run. Dotson is the defending MAC champion for the 200 meter, so Etelman said he was pleased with Byrdsong’s time.

Etelman said he was content with the outcomes of the friendly meet.

“We’re healthy and that is way more important than anything else right now, so we are going to relax for the next week and then run fast,” Etelman said.

Ball State will compete in the MAC Championship where they will see Western Michigan again in Ypsilanti, Michigan, on February 24 and 25.