Ball State men's swim and dive finish home season with 3-1 record

Ball State men's swim and dive finish with their best home record, since 2010

Sophomore Alec Tuthill swims in the 200m freestyle during the senior meet against Notre Dame on Feb. 4 in Lewellen Pool. Tuthill finsihed sixth with a time of 1:48:85. Grace Ramey // DN

Previous Home Records

2016-17: 3-1

2015-16: 0-3

2014-15: 1-2

2013-14: 1-2

2012-13: 1-1

2011-12: 1-4

2010-11:  1-0

The Ball State men’s swim and dive team finished their home meets for the season with a 3-1 record, the best record at home since the 2010-11 season. 

Head coach Bob Thomas said it is great to have a positive home record.

“The fans from home get to see us compete and win,” Thomas said. “If you compete at home great, but if you win, it feels even better.”

Thomas said he is very pleased to have support from the fans.

“We typically have the best crowds, everywhere we go,” Thomas said. “There is not a bad seat in Lewellen and they get a good show while they are here.”

This year at home, the Cardinals have faced Albion College, Tiffin University, Evansville University and the University of Notre Dame. 

Senior Tanner Barton said it has been awesome to be home this season.

“I spend the most time in Lewellen than I do anywhere else in Muncie,” Barton said. “It is nice to practice here, but also to have the opportunity to race some great programs here in our own pool.”

Over the years, Thomas has said this year's senior class has been a “nucleus” for the team. Senior Bradley Ridge said the team three years ago was seen as a fun team with no determination.

“We came in hungry and eager and persevered through the last three years and stepped up as leaders in all stages of life,” Ridge said.

One of Ridge’s goals for this year was to enable and show the next class of seniors they can accomplish anything.

“As seniors, we have been able to show every class that they are capable to accomplish a little more every year,” Ridge said.

Senior Jacob Eckert said the seniors have stayed together for the long run.

“Other classes had people drop,” Eckert said. “Having the same six guys to the end has really paid off for the team.”

Barton said that Thomas hit the nail on the head with the senior class being a nucleus for the team.

“Coach leans on us in terms of recruiting, hard work and racing,” Barton said. “ I think our class has been able to come through and deliver on all of these fronts.”

The Cardinals will face Mid-American conference opponent Miami at 1 p.m. Feb. 11.