Recycling isn’t just paper and plastic

Recycling isn’t just paper and plastic

The saying goes, “everything old is new again.” In Muncie and across the country, that is becoming more apparent. In the past few years, resale shops have seen an increase of customers because older trends are coming back in style.

Resale shops are catering to the “old souls” of this generation. According to Narts: The Association of Resale Professionals, resale is the largest growing segment of retail and a multi-billion dollar industry.

Muncie has two of many resale shops around the state of Indiana. The Vintage Shoppe is a resale shop in Muncie that hopes to bring the vintage style to the community.

“Muncie didn’t have a vintage store and I was really surprised, so I said I’m going to do it,” Jasmine Shoppe, the owner of the Vintage Shoppe, said. “I’m going to open one up and see how it goes.”

According to a fashion article from InStyle, trends like leather jackets and jean skirts from the 90s are making a comeback.

Shoppe attends estate sales and searches for old clothing from the 80s or 90s that is in style today.

“You can find old clothing in the big stores, but they’re just not made with the quality that these things are made with,” Shoppe said.

The Vintage Shoppe isn’t the only resale shop in the Muncie area. Goodwill has seen more customers over the years.

Gabriel Saxon, the store’s shift manager, said most people come in for the clothes.

“We have seen an increase in shoppers in the past few years shopping for clothes,” Saxon said. “Our men’s department is also smaller than our women’s department, so we see more women.”

According to a study on Narts.org, 18 percent of Americans will shop at a resale shop in a given year. Goodwill stores across the country alone generated $5.37 billion in 2014.

Many shoppers like Liz Vermuelen take advantage of the great deals retail shops offer. Vermuelen, a Goodwill shopper, appreciates that resale shops provide an outlet for recycled products.

“I really love the idea that I’m recycling things and not buying something new,” she said. “ I love how I’m keeping things from going to the landfill as well.”

Resale shops are becoming a new way to recycle old trends.